05 January 2017

In this article, we provide some simple steps to take in the event you have been involved in a motor accident.

What should I do if I've been involved in a Motor Accident?


Call for Assistance. Call for police or ambulance assistance if you have suffered an injury or if the driver at fault leaves the scene of the accident. 

Take Pictures. Most of us have camera phones so make sure that you take photographs of the accident scene. The photographs may assist in the case of a dispute as to who was at fault for the collision.

Exchange Details. Even if you don't think you'll need them it’s a good idea to get as much information about the other party as possible. Quite often, injuries reveal themselves hours later after the initial shock of the accident wears off. If you don’t have details of the other party, then it will become difficult to claim compensation down the track.

Seek Medical Assistance. Immediate medical attention should be sought after a collision, especially if you have struck your head in a collision or if you have a feeling of dizziness or nausea. 

Obtain Witness Details. Independent witnesses are important when it’s one person's word against the other. Obtain details of all witnesses. Our expert lawyers will then acquire detailed letters or statements from these witnesses to support your claim.  

Report the Accident to Police. According to the law, in order to make a compensation claim a police report must be made within 28 days of the accident. However, if you haven’t been able to report the accident within 28 days don’t panic, we can assist in making the report to police and explain to the insurer why you were late in making the report. 

Seek Legal Advice. Call us if you're not sure whether you have a claim or would just like an expert to give you some guidance. You will get to speak to one of our helpful accident lawyers, who will give you advice on your claim entitlements and how to proceed with your claim.


The above information is general information only. For a free consultation and specific advice regarding your claim from one of our experts please contact us on Free Call 1800 122 555 or complete our Free Advice Form.

Back to List