The current maximum lump sum claim for work injuries sustained after 1 July 2023 is $713,660.

Section 66 of the Workers Compensation Act provides that a worker who receives a physical injury that results in a degree of impairment greater than 10% whole person impairment is entitled to receive lump sum compensation for that permanent impairment. 

Section 65A of the Workers Compensation Act provides that for a psychological injury, to be entitled to lump sum compensation you must be assessed at least 15% whole person impairment.

How much am I entitled to?

The following table provides an overview of lump sum compensation you may be entitled to if you are assessed greater than 10% whole person impairment (for injuries after 1 July 2022):

Whole Person Impairment Compensation

  • 11%    $27,790
  • 15%    $43,310
  • 20%    $60,460
  • 25%    $78,610
  • 30%    $96,760
  • 35%    $126,610
  • 40%    $156,510
  • 45%    $186,410
  • 50%    $213,310
  • 60%    $382,170
  • 70%    $547,910

It is important that all injuries are fully investigated and supported by evidence to ensure the maximum amount of whole person impairment is ascertained as it can make a huge impact to your overall outcome. Make sure you consult an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law to ensure this is undertaken as part of your lump sum claim.

If I receive a lump sum will my Weekly and Treatment Benefits be affected?

Lump sum compensation for permanent impairment under Section 66 of the Worker’s Compensation Act is in addition to any other compensation you may be entitled to under Worker’s Compensation. This means if you receive any lump sum compensation for permanent impairment it will not affect any of your other rights including your entitlement to weekly compensation and your entitlement to treatment expenses.

Do I need a lawyer to make a Lump Sum Claim?

In short, yes. The insurer will not pay you the lump sum compensation you should be entitled to unless you make a claim with suitable medical and other evidence. It is always best to seek the advice of a Lawyer who is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law to determine whether you may be entitled to make a claim for lump sum permanent impairment.

Expert Workplace Injury Lawyers

Our lawyers practice regularly in worker’s compensation matters are approved by WIRO to obtain grants of legal assistance to pay for an injured persons legal fees and medical reports. This includes disputes involving lump sum compensation. As such, you can be confident that you will receive advice from a lawyer that has an in depth understanding of the worker’s compensation legislation.

LawAdvice can obtain a grant of assistance to pay ALL your legal costs

To investigate your entitlement to lump sum compensation, we are able to seek a grant of assistance from WIRO (Workers Compensation Independent Review Office) who will in most circumstance agree to fund your legal costs and any disbursements (medical assessments and reports required). This means that you will not have to pay us for any of the legal work in disputing the insurer’s decision nor will you have to pay for any of the medical assessment and reports required to support your claim.


The above information is general information only. For a free consultation and specific advice regarding your claim from one of our experts please contact us on Free Call 1800 122 555 or complete our Free Advice Form.